Being Cheap is Easy: Fiesta Time! Pantry Salsa + Baked Corn Tortilla Chips

Fiesta Time! Pantry Salsa + Baked Corn Tortilla Chips

March 14, 2014


Okay guys....we are going to make a deal.  I am going to share my super secret, SUPER easy pantry salsa recipe and we're going to keep pretending we've spent hours chopping and dicing to make this salsa.  Deal?

I like to bring it to BBQs and special occasions and I often get asked what my trick is.  I really wish it was something super cool...but it's not. I use canned tomatoes. 

I know, I know, I know.  You're thinking GROSS!  But it's crazy how fresh this salsa tastes after you add some cilantro and onion to it.  Here in Michigan, we barely have a tomato season so we've gotta take all of the help we can get.  

Fresh tomatoes get expensive when you're trying to make a large batch of salsa...plus you have to seed and dice them.   Tomatoes from a can are pretty fresh tasting.  Only tip: make sure you get an organic or low sodium style, if available.  I like Meijer naturals or the Costco diced varieties.

The baked chips are equally as easy.  I started making these when I was on Weight Watchers.  You can eat 24 chips for only 120 calories.  I'm a huge chips & dip fan, so I tend to go crazy.  With these chips, you won't feel bad.  Even if you eat 2 servings (which would be pretty hard!), you're only eating 240 calories and 3 grams of fat.   Now when we buy regular chips, they are SO salty to me.

Pantry Salsa

Here's what you need:
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, 15 oz
  • 1 medium sized onion, peeled and quartered
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 handful of cilantro (or more if you are a fan)
  • Juice from half of a lemon
  • Salt to taste, dash of sugar, dash of cumin
  1. In a food processor add onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic.  Open the can of tomatoes and drain the juice.  Pulse for about 15 seconds.  
  2. Add tomatoes and pulse until everything is chopped.  Add salt, sugar, cumin and lemon juice.  Pulse for 5 seconds.
  3. Chill in fridge.  
From this recipe, you can experiment and add whatever you want!  Think: mango, black beans, pineapple, serano chiles...so versatile!


Baked Tortilla Chips
Note: I highly recommend Mission Ultra Thin corn tortilla chips.  I have tried many brands and some separate while baking.  These stay crisp and toast very well.

Here's what you need:
  • Corn tortillas, cut each into 8 pieces
  • Cooking Spray
  • Optional: fine salt
To bake evenly, place a cookie cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet.

Preheat the oven to 375.  Place triangles on cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.  You can lightly salt, if desired.

Bake 5-7 minutes, until crisp watching VERY carefully.  They go from soft to burnt very fast!



Now it's time to get guilt-free snacking!  What show are you watching right now?

3 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

YUM! This is up my alley. I don't even mind canned tomatoes because DUH, that means EASY :)

Unknown said...

Exactly! I was scared they would have a canny taste, but you can't even tell!

Anonymous said...

love this--thanks!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS