Being Cheap is Easy: Simple Soups: Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper

Simple Soups: Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper

January 21, 2014




It's going to be another cold week. (Go figure, it's winter in the Midwest!)  My cooking has been a little random lately.  I've been doing a lot of freezer cooking, soups and sandwiches. When it gets cold, I tend to get lazy and I use up pantry items.

Whenever I head to the grocery store, I beeline to the markdown produce section.  What I find there helps determine our meals for the week.  If I find a great deal on peppers, we have fajitas or stuffed peppers.  Bags of zucchini and bananas make breakfast muffins.  Tomatoes are perfect for roasting!

This soup combines markdown tomatoes and red peppers in a quick, easy soup.  To add extra flavor, I add a dollop of pesto and some mozzarella cheese.  The girls LOVE dippers, so I make mini grilled cheese croutons.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 pound of tomatoes
  • 1 red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons pesto
  • 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
  • 1 chicken bullion cube
  •  1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • Garnish: mozzarella/Parmesan cheese, basil
  1. Heat the oven to 400.  Wash and half tomatoes; seed and slice red pepper.  Toss in EVOO and roast for 20-30 minutes, until soft and slightly charred.  Salt, to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon) and set aside.
  2. In a large soup pan, circle EVOO.   Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes, until soft.  Add pesto.
  3. Slowly add peppers and tomatoes to pan.  Stir.  
  4. Add chicken stock and bullion cube.  Bubble on medium low for 15-20 minutes.
  5. Two choices now: leave chunky or blend.  I like to use a hand blender, but you can (carefully!) blend in a tall one, just allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Garnish with chopped basil and cheese.  We love it with a nice, crusty grilled cheese.
Being Cheap is Easy
Clean Plate Club! The girls LOVED it!

In the mood for more soup?  Check out my other favorites!



1 comment:

Lindsey said...

This looks absolutely delicious and absolutely perfect for the cold winter temps. Going to add to my recipe box. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS