Being Cheap is Easy: Simple Soups: Italian Sausage + Lentil

Simple Soups: Italian Sausage + Lentil

January 28, 2014


Bobs Red Mill Lentils
I know, you're probably sick of soup recipes by now.  Sorry!  It's beyond freezing here and all I seem to be craving is soup.  Our freezer is stocked with 5 different types now!  I like to keep half of the batch in the fridge for lunches and stick the rest in freezer bags.  I have found that laying them on a cookie sheet to freeze flat is the best route!

Before last year, we never really ate lentils.  It wasn't until I got so many tasty recipes at BlogHer Food that I started cooking with them.  I've added them to bread (great way to sneek in some protein) and rice dishes, but I always forget to add them to soups! 

Lentils are an inexpensive way to add protein and fiber to your diet. This recipe uses red lentils, which I find break down more than your typical green lentil.  Use whatever you want!  You can find these in your grocery store right below the canned beans in a bag.  You don't need to soak them, just simply rinse them.



Bobs Red Mill Lentils

Here's what you need:
  • 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into moon shapes
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 3 Jennie-O turkey sausage links (mild or spicy)
  • 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Lentils (I used the red variety)
  • 1 can of Cannellini Beans
  • 1- 6 oz can of tomato paste
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped
  • 8 cups chicken stock (2 boxes)
  • 4 bullion cubes (not necessary, but I like to add them!)
  • Optional: toasted bread for dipping
Let's Cook!
  1. In a large soup pot, add EVOO and heat over medium heat.  Add onion, garlic and carrots.  Cook 3-4 minutes and add turkey sausage, squeezing out of casings.  Cook until no longer pink.
  2. Add lentils and tomato paste and stir continuously for 1 minute.  Slowly pour in stock and toss in bullion cubes.  Bring to a bubble over medium low heat.  Cook, stirring frequently for 20 minutes.
  3. Add beans and kale.  Bubble for 10 more minutes.
  4. Optional: Put your bread in a 400* oven to toast for 5-7 minutes
  5. Finish soup with salt and pepper to taste.  A dollop of pesto is great too!
  6. Serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Other soups you will want to try!



Disclaimer: Bob's Red Mill provided me with some lentils to cook with, but I was not compensated in any other way.  This tasty recipe and opinions are all mine! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS