Being Cheap is Easy: Quick tip: Roasting fruit

Quick tip: Roasting fruit

August 24, 2011

When I think of roasting produce, I think mostly of veggies.  I love roasted root veggies, peppers or garlic.  Earlier this summer I was reading an article in a local magazine and they were talking about roasted strawberries.  How could I not have thought of that?  Since then, I have been trying new combinations and I am addicted.  It's so easy to roast anything- basically cover in foil and roast at 400 degrees until soft.

Today I tried something new: roasted mangoes.  I got the idea from Food Network this weekend, but I decided to make my own variation.  I love the mango vinaigrette at Qdoba and I figured I could make my own variation.

(Of course I forgot to take photos....)

All you do is cover a mango in foil and roast for 20ish minutes at 400.  You are just looking for the mango to be shiny and soft.  Let cool and scoop out the insides into a chopper. 

Quick & Easy Vinaigrette
  • 1 small handful of cilantro (or parsley for the cilantro haters)
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • 1/8 cup vinegar (I like red wine or apple cider)
  • 2 roasted mangoes + 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded
  • 2 tablespoons of agave nectar or honey
  1. Blend together and add more oil & vinegar, if too thick. 
  2. Cool in fridge and enjoy with salads or chicken!
I was seriously licking the spatula, I loved it!

With roasted strawberries, you can do this same recipe with some simple swapouts:
  • basil instead of cilantro
  • 1/4 cup green pepper for the jalapeno
  • Balsamic vinegar for the apple cider

Note: This is another perfect way to use reduced produce from the store.  They always have strawberries and mangoes at our Meijer.  I usually chop and freeze them for smoothies for the twins, but this is a fun new way to dress up summer salads. 

Do you have any new ideas for light, summer cooking?! I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Great idea! I'm not into mangoes, but I see reduced strawberries all the time. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS