Being Cheap is Easy: Cooking rut? Try a recipe binder!

Cooking rut? Try a recipe binder!

February 20, 2011



I must admit, this winter I have been in kind of a cooking rut.  As much as I love cooking, I get so tired of thinking of what to make for dinner.  One thing that helps me find dinner ideas is my cooking binder.  I started this in 2007 and I take any recipe I see that sounds appetizing and put it inside with page protectors.  This past year I had to move to a larger binder and it is still almost full.  Its fun to remember recipes this way and you can just take out the page protector when you want to use it.  I also write anything I may have changed or added to the recipe with either a post-it or right in the margins of the recipe. 

The best way to use a binder is to get dividers and keep it organized.  A binder with pockets on the side is nice too.  When I dont have time to categorize a recipe, I just put it in the pocket for a later time.  Here are the dividers I use, obviously use what is most convenient for you.
  1. Chicken
  2. Beef
  3. Sweets/Dessert/Holiday Treats
  4. Seafood
  5. Vegetarian/Sides
  6. Soups
  7. Pasta
There is probably a better way to categorize everything, but I have yet to change my binder in 4 years.

Where do I find recipes?  Everywhere! Here are some ideas to get you started:
  • Before you recycle your magazines, cut out any recipes you might want to try.  If I try a recipe and we dont like it, I throw it away.  Its pointless to keep a gross recipe!
  • I am a Food Network junkie.  Whenever I see a show with a recipe I want to try, I go to the website and print it.  This is usually where I end up writing any additions/subtractions to the recipe in the margins.  If I dont have time to print it, I add it to my bookmarks until I want to use it.
  • Allrecipes.com, Epicurious.com or any cooking website. 
  • Sunday inserts.   Sometimes our Parade magazine or even the coupon inserts have great sounding ideas.
  • From others!  If you go try something you like, ask them for the recipe!
  • I just started collecting holiday recipes a few years ago and now when its time to make cookies at Christmas time, we have a huge selection.  
 A great way to do this project for FREE would be to use Amazon.com gift cards from Swagbucks. I have been racking up the points more than usual lately, which is very nice!  If you haven't signed up yet, use the link above.

Enjoy the snow!


Xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS