Being Cheap is Easy: Quick Tip: Keep Those Strawberries Fresh!

Quick Tip: Keep Those Strawberries Fresh!

May 06, 2014

Preserving Strawberries, How to clean berries, Cleaning Fruit, Cleaning Produce

**I shared this tip a couple of years ago, but I thought I would bring it back since prime strawberry season is coming up. YAY!**

Gotta love Pinterest.  Some things are hit or miss, but I found a strawberry tip a few summers ago and it WORKS!  Don't you hate when you buy berries and they are moldy by the next day?! I love to use this tip especially when they go on sale for $1 at Meijer.

How to keep your berries fresh!
  1. Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water and 1/2 cup of vinegar.
  2. Place berries in the bowl and move around for a minute. I like to put a colander inside of my bowl for easy draining.DO NOT RINSE!
  3. In the bottom of the berry container, place a folded paper towel.
  4. Put the berries back in their original container or chop up and put in a covered bowl in the fridge.
They stay fresh so much longer!  Don't worry, you can't taste the vinegar... it just kills all of the mold spores.  I do this before I freeze my berries, as well.  This is a great tip for markdown fruit!  This works well with blueberries too! I also use it to wash off waxy fruits like apples or cucumbers.

Have you tried this before?

UPDATE: Don't forget to sign up for the Driscolls Rewards for berry coupons!  You simply enter a code from the bottom of the package and take a quick survey--helps save SO much!
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS