Being Cheap is Easy: Cookie Swap 2013: Cocoa Chewy Gooey Cookies

Cookie Swap 2013: Cocoa Chewy Gooey Cookies

December 11, 2013

#fbcookieswap

If you're looking for a pretty, delicate cookie, this might not be for you.  This recipe is a combination of a few things.  First of all, last October Stefanie at Sarcastic Cooking (you have to follow her blog, the recipes are ah-mazing) posted this recipe and we've been obsessed.  I'd never thought to put Corn Flakes in a cookie before! Normally we make the traditional green cornflake wreaths, but I thought I should just make cookies!  Last spring, I found some mint chocolate marshmallows on clearance (they're still good, lol) and I had to use them!  So here we are: cocoa, marshmallow, Corn Flake and chocolate cookies. I decided to call them Cocoa Chewy Gooey Cookies, since it makes the girls smile.  

Here's what you need:
  • 1 cup of coconut butter (or 2 sticks of butter)
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2/3 cup of brown sugar, packed
  •  1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (Trader Joe's mint cocoa is awesome too!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cups Corn Flakes (Don't substitute Special K, I tried...no bueno)
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1.5 cups mint chocolate marshmallows (or plain mini)
Let's Bake!

  1. I highly recommend a stand mixer, but a hand one will work too!  Use the paddle attachment.  Add butter and sugars.  After about 3 minutes of mixing, scrape down the sides, and add egg, cocoa and vanilla. Mix for another 4 minutes. (If you are hand mixing, this totally counts as a workout!)
  2. In a small bowl (I like to use a clean quart yogurt container) mix flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add flour mixture.  Mix on low for no more than a minute. 
  3. Add the cornflakes, chocolate chips, and marshmallows. Mix together just until combined.
  4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or a Silpat, which is on my Christmas dream list!).
  5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out portions of dough and place them on the parchment. Cover the cookies and press the dough down so it is more of a flat disc. Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
  6. Preheat the oven to 375.
  7. Line additional baking sheets with parchment paper.
  8. Place dough on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches in between since they spread out.  Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes, until the edges become lightly golden.
  9. Let the cookies cool for a bit, before putting on cooling racks. Cookies will continue to harden as they cool.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies...if you don't eat the dough like I do. 


These are addicting!  I love the chocolaty, chewy, crunchy, gooey combo...plus the subtle mint flavor.  Mmmm, mmm! Santa would love these too.

#fbcookieswap
What do you have baking this season?  Recipes please! 

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

These really are addicting! I couldn't pass by without breaking off a piece. They really didn't last long! Thank you so much! -Stephanie (Ellie's Bites)

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked them. After I mailed them, I was hoping they would travel well. I didnt think about how cold they would get during travel!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS