Being Cheap is Easy: How-To: Wash Leeks

How-To: Wash Leeks

August 31, 2013



Raise your hand if you are (or were) afraid to buy leeks!

Me!

I didn't know what to do with them or how to clean them.  They are super gritty and full of sand, so if you don't clean them well, they are crunchy.  Yuck!

After reading this, when you see those beautiful leeks at the store or farmers market, you will pick them up!  They have a sweet, oniony flavor that goes great with potatoes, bacon and any veggie.  You can saute, roast or grill them.  As Daniel Tiger says: "Try new food, cause it might taste GOOD!".  As we roll into fall, leeks are a great addition to any comfort meal!  Think: homemade mac n' cheese with bacon and leeks! Or slow cooker potato soup with leeks.  YUM-O!

Our favorite meal right now with leeks (aside from omelets) is an amazing, (calorie) splurge-worthy bacon , egg and leek pizza on thin crust...recipe will be posted soon! 
Recipe to be posted soon!

So here's how you wash and clean leeks.  It's quite simple once you get the hang of it.  Bonus: they last over a week if properly stored in the fridge!

  1. Cut off the top and ends of the leeks.  Then thinly slice.
  2. Place in a large bowl of water and let sit.  The dirt and sand will settle to the bottom.  Make sure you separate the layers of the slices.
  3. Scoop the leeks out, making sure to not mix up the dirt from the bottom.  I usually double wash them, to be on the safe side!
  4.  Place in strainer and dry thoroughly.
  5. Store in an airtight container with a damp paper towel at the base and top of the container.
How do you enjoy your leeks? I'm always looking for new ideas!

2 comments:

Maggie B said...

I have a great recipe for a leek and vegetable soup, courtesy of my MIL in Ireland. I think it'd be super WW friendly too.. let me know if you're interested, I'd be happy to share! I'd never cooked with them either.

Unknown said...

I would love it!! I'm obsessed with leeks. I made a potato, cabbage and leek soup the other day.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS