Being Cheap is Easy: My Weight Loss Journey: Protein is Key!

My Weight Loss Journey: Protein is Key!

April 21, 2014

Disclosure: I am part of the Stonyfield Yo-Getters.  I received coupons for Greek yogurt, but all opinions are my own!





I have some news!! I’m going to be in an upcoming issue of All You Magazine!  SO excited/nervous.  You would think I would be sharing money saving tips, but it's actually something very different! More details soon, but basically I’ve been testing a fitness app for the last month.  I have really been focusing on being more active after that loooong winter and it’s making me feel great!

Although I am trying to lose weight, I refuse to say that I’m on a diet.  I am ready to make lifelong changes!  One of my top priorities is getting enough healthy food, especially protein.  Before I just assumed protein was coming from meat and occasionally beans…now I make sure to fill up each plate with protein!  Bob Harper says that you should get half of your body weight in grams of protein (ex: if you weigh 160, you need 80 grams of protein a day).  While that may seem like a lot, it’s actually quite easy!  The main purpose of protein is to keep you full longer.

My go-to (and tastiest!) form of filling protein is Stonyfield Greek yogurt. I have the bad habit of standing at the counter to eat during the day and yogurt is a quick way to fill up!  Favorite flavors: Superfruit, Black Cherry with 1 teaspoon of mini chips or the blueberry!  Many people think they don’t like Greek yogurt, but when they try the smooth Stonyfield variety they are hooked. (*cough* Ricky!) I love that they are so flavorful!  This year, Stonyfield is the official yogurt of the Boston Marathon!  Good luck to everyone today!

Aside from snacks in cups, I buy a big tub of plain Stonyfield Greek yogurt for cooking.  I add it instead of sour cream or mayo to many recipes.  My new favorite lunch is a can of tuna, mixed with a bit of mustard, plain Greek yogurt and a hard-boiled egg on a bagel thin.  SO filling!!  On the side, if I’m not having a cup of yogurt, I have cottage cheese with a drizzle of honey.  That meal alone gets me almost half of my protein quota for the day!

Here are some other great (non meat!) sources of protein:

  • Liquid Egg whites.  For only 25 calories you get 5 grams!

  • Low Fat Cottage cheese. 12 grams per ½ cup!  Great toppings: honey, salsa, berries.
  • Tuna.  1 can has 28 grams!
  • Steel Cut Oats. 5 grams per serving.  Add some peanut butter and nuts for a great filling breakfast!
  • Beans. Protein varies per bean, ex: black beans have 7 grams per ½ cup. I like to add them to salads, blend them up for dips.  Make sure to always rinse and seek out low sodium cans.
  • Endamame. 17 grams per cup!  Roast in the oven, add to stir fries, make endamole.
The list is endless, but once you start keeping an eye out for protein, you’ll find some of the sources surprising. 



My weight loss journey is FAR from finished, but I feel like I've gotten a great start so far!  Maybe one day I'll be completing the Boston Marathon...or at least cheering on Ricky!

What's your go-to source of protein?



3 comments:

Mrs. Weber said...

Love this! And that tuna combo sounds super yummy. You GO GIRL! I totally flipped like crazy through my All You the other day, but figured it may be too soon ;) Cannot wait to see you in print!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks lady! It's going to take me for-ev-er to get to my goal weight, but at least I'm trying to be healthier! I'm not sure when the All You will be out...probably not for another month or so. I just finished it up last week! I'll let you know :)

rosewood said...

You shared an really useful info about weight loss and Its very helpful one.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS