Being Cheap is Easy: Grocery Shopping at Target Saves TONS of Money!

Grocery Shopping at Target Saves TONS of Money!

February 24, 2014


My husband thinks I have a major problem: I'm addicted to Target.  I have been for years now...I even worked there in high school.  I feel you are either a Target or Walmart person.  Just like a Coke or Pepsi fan.  I can spot a Target red clearance sticker from a mile away!

In my area, we don't have many options for grocery shopping.  Not even Trader Joe's (tear!) ...just Meijer and Family Fare.  While I can find some deals at those stores, I still find myself spending more than I would like.  A few months ago, once I started using Target Cartwheel, I realized how much cheaper it is to stock up my pantry at Target.  I'm totally kicking myself for not figuring this out sooner!

Here's why!  They have great sale prices, sometimes even lower normal prices to begin with, plus you can triple up coupons.  By using printable Target coupons, the Cartwheel and manufacturer coupons, you're saving TONS of money!

Some tips:
  • Read Totally Target before you head out.  This blog is a GREAT tool for finding out what's on sale, what deals are to be found and what coupons you should print.
  • Shop Target before the grocery store.  We try to do large monthly grocery trips, supplementing weekly for produce and milk.  On our big trip days, we have a routine: Aldi first, Target and Meijer last.  It's an order of cheapest to most expensive, so by the time we make it to Meijer we just have a few things left on our list.  Costco is also thrown in if it's a month that we need items from there.  Since I try to set a price point for items, I know if it's a good deal at Target or if I should wait for another store.  
  • Focus on pantry and dairy. Meat deals can be hit or miss, but pantry items are quite often great prices.  I tend to buy fruit snacks, crackers, canned tomatoes and condiments.  Another deal: dairy.  Yogurt, cheese and almond milk have great prices!  When in the meat section, look for markdown beef or chicken and sales on items like lunchmeat.
  • Get your coupons ready ahead of time! As much as I love Cartwheel, it can be time consuming while shopping.  If you have the rest of your coupons organized ahead of time, you'll make your trip much faster.  Don't forget to check your Target mobile coupons too!  I really would love to have Target combine mobile coupons and Cartwheel somehow. 
Do you grocery shop at Target?  Any tips?

2 comments:

Beth Colburn said...

You amaze me! For those of your reading this, last week I ran into Ashleigh at Target. She showed me how to use the Cartwheel app (and I saved 40 cents on the one thing I went in for!)....Anyway, we checked out at the same time so I got to watch her work her magic. She saved over $30 on her purchase using coupons and the Cartwheel app! I really couldn't believe it~it seemed so effortless for her! Way to go, Ash!

Mrs. Weber said...

Love this post! I love the food Target has, so this is such fab info! Totally going to give it a whirl :)

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS